Monday, August 22, 2011

Our Curriculum


I thought it would help you get to know us, if I shared an overview of our approach to teaching/learning. I'll share our curriculum choices in another post. Work with me, because this is all new to me and I have to figure out how to do it - you know...when will I have time, what should I share, etc.

We try to maintain a Biblical worldview in all that we teach, but our approach is like a smorgasbord; a little bit of Classical, a little bit of Charlotte Mason, a little bit of a few different things. We like literature based things, a lot of art and hands-on activities and we also enjoy computer-based learning.

I have been inspired to try many things shared by other moms and educators. However, it's important for me to remember that just because something looks great or fun, it doesn't mean that I have to try it THIS YEAR, or even at all. What works for one family (or child), may not work for mine. It's important to be prayerful in your choices and ask God to guide you. I know first hand how easy it is to get caught up in the search for the right teaching/learning tools.

I've made choices based on works best for each of my children individually. I'm OK with the fact that our "learning menu" seems to be a smorgasbord that combines the flavors of all-you-can-eat and fast food with fine dining! Hey, all that matters to me is that they eat well and grow strong!

Even though we have curriculum plans for each year, we make adjustments as needed (i.e. if we find that something TRULY ISN'T WORKING, we won't struggle through it just because it was a choice at the beginning of our "formal" learning year and I'd spent our hard-earned money).

I plan to share the details of our journey, especially with B4FIAR/FIAR as we complete each book. I am also planning to share some Homeschool Highlights that will include projects/experiments, field trips, fun things, etc. My goal is to do this weekly, but I AM new to this amazing arena, so bare with me while I work out the kinks! You will be able to find curriculum related posts under the "Blog Topics" link, "Curriculum", located on the left side of the home page.

If you have questions about how (or why) we use anything, feel free to leave a comment and I'll be happy to share what we're doing. Likewise, if you're using something that we're using, I'd love to know how you incorporate things in your family.

Lastly, I want to encourage you in your homeschooling journey. I know that it can be overwhelming at times (I've cried and doubted my ability to actually do this many times), but know that God is there to guide and strengthen you. And if that isn't enough, there is a virtual community of Moms (and Dads) who freely share a wealth of God-inspired information, inspiration and motivation to help you along the
way.

Whether you choose an all-in-one curriculum, an online school, or a customized plan, leave room (in your mind that is - you know how we can sometimes get stuck in our decisions and plans, at least I've been guilty of this) for adjustments. Some things are figured out through trial and error, but a little research and feedback from others (you know those product reviews/testimonials that we read, but rarely make - I am getting better at sharing my experiences, though. Yeah, God is working on me!) can help minimize the error part.

OK my Friend of FAITH...dig in and enjoy YOUR journey. Be patient and savor the process. Training up a child is like taking a long train ride on the journey of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment