Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our Curriculum 2011-2012: K4/K5


These are our curriculum choices for Victoria (K4/K5)

Victoria is 4 1/2 years old. I've chosen things based on her individual needs and what SHE'S ready for right now. I'm guided by her enthusiasm (or lack of) and her interests. If something seems overwhelming, we'll put it aside and come back to it when she's ready. Likewise, if she's breezing through something, I'll let her roll with the flow and move on. She is a beginning reader, who loves drawing, coloring and cutting/pasting - ANYthing artsy, so Before Five In A Row/FIAR supplements are great for her. Some of the things listed below will be used as supplements that we pick and choose from. Victoria is always asking for more, so I have to have plenty prepared to choose from.

ALL-IN-ONE:

Time 4 Learning
- covers language arts, math and science

Before Five In A Row
- covers Bible, language arts, science, math, social studies and art

Note: We will be using a variety of supplements with Before Five In A Row, including things found at Homeschool Share, preschool packs from Homeschool Creations and wonderful inspirations and ideas found at Delightful Learning (Michelle was my inspiration for Before Five In A Row!). There are many resources out there for go-along activities, but these are my favorites! I plan to share our Before Five In A Row/Five In A Row experience, including the how, when and where of it all! Please be patient with me; I'm new to this so I'll have to figure out a system for sharing.

BIBLE/CHARACTER:

Bible Stories
AWANA (Weekly on Wednesdays)
Little Keepers At Home
*Character Education - Still deciding... may "develop" something, not sure.Really want to do something a little structured, BUT SIMPLE.

PHONICS/READING/SPELLING/HANDWRITING/LANGUAGE:

Explode the Code 1 & 2
All About Reading Level Pre-1
All About Spelling Level 1 (Going to TRY this out. May need to delay.)
A Reason for Handwriting Book K
Language and Thinking for Young Children
Language Lessons for Little Ones

MATH:

Singapore Earlybird Math Kindergarten A & B

SCIENCE:

Singapore Early Bird Science
Seasonal Science
Nature Study
(along with the boys)
- Handbook of Nature study and other resources

SOCIAL STUDIES:

Cantering the Country (keeping it simple though; her brothers are doing Trail Guide to U.S. Geography and she WILL want to be involved, hence, we'll be cantering along with them)
Little Passports
Expedition Earth (to go along with Lil' Passports)
Evan-Moor Beginning Geography (Something else we're TRYING OUT! We'll see! I think she may like it; Can always take it slow.)
Introduction to African-American History (Compiling my own -PRAYING about it. I will share later.)

ART:

Meet the Masters Online (with the boys)
Mark Kistler Online: Lil' Marshmallows (This is a fun supplement.)

FOREIGN LANGUAGE:

Still undecided.

PHYSICAL EDUCATION:

Winter Basketball Cheerleading


Well, I think that sums it up! We will use a variety of supplements and note that some things listed will not be used in their entirety. If you would like to know about how we're using something, please leave me a comment or feel free to email me. Likewise if you're using something that we're using, share your plans or experience with us! You can always email me too!

Wow! It looks like so much more when typing it out! I'm glad we don't start until the week AFTER Labor Day, because I am SO NOT prepared, YET!


Blessings and FAITH!

No comments:

Post a Comment